[fedora-arm] armv7hl requirements

DJ Delorie dj at redhat.com
Fri May 13 15:46:24 UTC 2011

> slow. But if we can get that 3 day process into a 3 hour process (e.g.

I don't think you'll see *that* kind of improvement, unless you have a
*really* slow arm board, or a *really* compile intensive build.

For a kernel RPM build, for example, distcc reduces my build time from
100 minutes to 60 minutes, a 40% improvement.  The remaining time is
preprocessing, linking, scripts, etc, and can't easily be done
off-board.  The x86 host is pretty much idle even during "heavy"
compile periods - it's a 3.5GHz i7 so I'm counting compile time as
"essentially zero" (native kernel "make -j12 zImage" takes about 45
seconds).

One other trick I'd like to try is to boot the arm board off an
nfsroot, and wrap gcc itself to run on the x86 box - including
preprocessing and linking.  This will require careful mapping of arm
and x86 filesystems, though.

No, I don't expect this to be used for official builds ;-)