[fedora-arm] Hardware Crypto Offload on Kirkwood (SheevaPlug)

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed May 25 10:13:04 UTC 2011

On 05/25/2011 10:38 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
>> * Gordan Bobic [25/05/2011 11:25] :
>>> aph:
>>> This doesn't seem to prevent it from being used as such, as far as I can
>>> see.
>>
>> Actually, it does: http://lwn.net/Articles/428111/
>
> That's all very theoretical and academic as long as half the distro is
> linking against OpenSSL anyway. We are where we are, and that will take
> time to change. Meanwhile, those of us living in the real world need to
> stick with the pragmatic approach of using what is there and works.

I don't think it's merely theoretical.  If there's one lesson we
should have learned over the past few years, it's that licences
really do matter.  It looks as though Fedora is going the NSS route
anyway, so presumably an OpenSSL-compatible library could be built on
top of NSS, and the problem would go away.

Andrew.