[fedora-arm] Hardware Crypto Offload on Kirkwood (SheevaPlug)

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed May 25 15:39:04 UTC 2011

Jason Burrell wrote:

>      > NSS supports PKCS#11 which most hardware crypto accelerators
>     (including
>      > things like smartcards and offloading coprocessors) use. As far as I
>      > know, the only OpenSSL PKCS#11 library is external to it, from the
>      > OpenSC people.
>
>     Hmm... Are the relevant kernel drivers and interfaces in place for
>     PKCS#11 for any of the crypto offload engines discussed (Kirkwood,
>     Tegra, Freescale)? Can somebody point me at the relevant interface docs?
>

> Generally, the CPU-based "crypto" hardware is actually just a few
> acceleration functions, so you don't usually access it through PKCS#11.
> I know NSS supports the Intel AES instructions directly (not via
> PKCS#11), so it should be possible to add others as well.

Accelerating instructions are something for the compilers and assemblers
to deal with. I was specifically talking about asynchronous offload
engines that ARM SoCs often to have.

>     So are you saying that the number of organizations that _don't_ use
>     OpenSSH, OpenLDAP, mod_ssl, etc. is greater than those that do (limiting
>     the field here to those that use some unix-like OS)? That would surprise
>     me if it really is the case.
>

> I don't have figures as to the number of deployments of any of those
> tools, but only OpenSSH is listed as not yet supporting NSS anyway.
>
> I do think there are many deployments of OpenSSL that aren't following
> its license's advertising requirements. As you stated, OpenSSH is used
> pretty much everywhere, but I don't even remember the last time I saw a
> statement saying a product included software from OpenSSL, except in
> hidden about boxes, which isn't what a clear reading for the Four-clause
> BSD license states.

Just out of interest, have OpenSSL maintainers complained at having just
about every distribution on the planet break their licencing terms?

Gordan