[fedora-arm] smsc95xx performance bug: eth vs usb

Jeffrey Bastian jbastian at redhat.com
Tue May 31 15:00:37 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-27 19:53, DJ Delorie wrote:

> This is a weird bug, has anyone else seen or fixed it?
>
> If you connect storage up to a pandaboard USB port (flash or sata),
> you get about 5 MB/sec throughput.  Now, if you "ping -i 0.001" the
> pandaboard from another host, you can increase the *storage*
> performance to 22 MB/sec (for my disk, max 32 MB/sec on an x86
> desktop).  Note that the ethernet device is itself also on the same
> USB hub (on chip) as the device storage.

I recently ran some bonnie++ benchmarks against both an SD card and a
USB 2.0 hard drive and I was seeing about 10 MB/sec on the USB drive.
http://jeffbastian.blogspot.com/2011/05/storage-speed-on-pandaboard.html

This was with the 2.6.35-g6d019da-dirty kernel.

I'll have to try this again with the pings and see if that improves the
performance.

Jeff