[fedora-arm] Raspberry Pi and Eclipse

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Mon Nov 28 16:06:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 12:18 +0000, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Acording to the documentation on raspberrypi.org, it would seem that
>  Raspberry Pi are dropping Ubuntu in favour of Fedora because Ubuntu is
>  dropping support for ARMv5/ARMv6 (yay!).
>
>  Also, according to the Raspberry Pi wiki, they expect that Eclipse will
>  work. That doesn't appear to be the case at the moment. Has anybody
>  managed to get Eclipse to build on ARM recently? Or has Eclipse ARM port
>  been given up on?

We're working on the Raspberry Pi remix here (it has to be a remix
rather than a spin for now). As I've written on the Raspi forums, anyone
expecting to use Eclipse on a Pi is probably dreaming -- there's just
not enough RAM. The model "B" device has 256M, but the GPU will normally
be allocated 64M, leaving 192M for apps. You can boot in as little as
11M, but after X and a DE, it doesn't look like there will be enough RAM
to use Eclipse without thrashing. (And frankly, until we get X connected
up to the GPU, it will be too painful.)

gedit with plugins is probably a more appropriate choice :-)

-Chris