[fedora-arm] Fedora 16

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Wed Oct 19 08:02:48 UTC 2011

tis 2011-10-18 klockan 22:09 -0500 skrev Dennis Gilmore:

> So ive done some thinking, and talked with some of the stakeholders.
> Ive come to the conclusion that we should skip f16 and shoot straight
> for rawhide.

+1 from me. It's already late to start on F16. F17 is a more realistic
goal.

Related to this FTBFS issues needs to be tracked more closely. There
have been quite many mainline FTBFS issues seen in the F15 rebuild which
is not even fixed in rawhide. And when moving to rawhide a number of new
FTBFS issues will arise.

Just not sure if that jump from F15 to rawhide should be done by trying
moving forward in koji, or as a two stage rebuild like done for
armv5tel. Depends largely on how good the shadowing scripts are at
ordering build dependencies or how complex it is in koji to reshake
packages that need to be rebuilt because of build ordering issues
resulting in broken builds.

Even with the limited package churn we have had in armv7hl there have
been quite many packages with bad builds due to dependencies changing,
and quite likely is some left still. But as the mock building is all
"scratch" builds it's then only a matter or rescheduling the same builds
again. How is this handled when building in koji?

> I suspect there are some pieces of f16 we will need to build to get
> things right. and if we get caught up quickly and can follow the
> branching from rawhide to f17  there is no reason we cant back track
> around and do f16 i just feel that once we get f15 done we should get
> moving towards parity. and showing that arm works and can keep up and
> follow along.

A double rebuild is a very powerful tool for shaking out any build
issues. You will be left pretty much with a set of good packages and a
set of FTBFS packages. And package maintainers have rason to look into
FTBFS issues.

Regards
Henrik