[fedora-arm] ac100 kernel (Was: ARM F-14 Branched report: 20110823 changes)

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Mon Sep 5 07:52:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 23:59 +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 09/04/2011 10:43 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 22:38 +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> >> There is the Debian ppa kernel 2.6.38. There is also marvin24's kernel
> >> tree on gitorius, based on the ChromeOS kernel (2.6.38.3). Those
> >> should work on F14. They certainly work on F12 and F13.
> >
> > Thanks. Do you know which parts of the source code of these other
> > kernels hasn't been upstreamed or would have to be integrated into the
> > f14 kernel sources to make it work out of the box on a ac100?
>
> Sorry, I only just realized I hadn't replied to the list. Do you mind if
> we move the thread back to the list?

Sorry, also missed that. Added the list back to the CC.

> AFAIK we have no out of the box Fedora kernels for any ARM platform
> anyway, so "out of the box" doesn't really apply. I am pretty sure not
> enough of the required support has been upstreamed, otherwise we would
> be using the upstream kernel. A lot of AC100 specific fixes are in
> marvin24's tree on gitorius, and the base is from ChromeOS which is
> trying to be compatible with Tegra2 paz00 boards that AC100 is based on.
> Upstream path is thus somewhat complicated (Marc's (marvin24) AC100
> tree, upstream to ChromeOS, which _may_ upstream to mainline but I
> suspect like Android it will most likely be periodically forked and
> maintained separately). Add to that the nvidia's kernel tree which is
> separate again, and we occassionally include fixes from that (e.g.
> Henning (woglinde) recently added in the patches to make the AES engine
> work).
>
> This isn't really a discussion for the Fedora ARM mailing list. You'd
> probably do better to take the discussion to the AC100 list on launchpad
> and join the #ac100 channel on freenode. I doubt enough of the required
> code will make it upstream any time soon.

Yes, I got the impression the ARM kernel situation is a little
fragmented :{ Just to be clear, for Fedora we would have to make sure
the ac100 specific patches from the mavin24, chromeos and nvidia kernel
trees move towards the lkml/linus tree? Or can we pick up some of the
patches and add them to the fedora spec file first for testing?

BTW. Would you happen to have (git) URLs for these trees to make it
easier to see the diffs against mainline?

Thanks,

Mark