[fedora-arm] Include prelink in fedora arm?

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 17:01:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:39:55 +0200, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>  Can you elaborate as to why? My experience and measurements show that
>  prelink does more harm than good more offten than not. I can think of a
>  lot of reasons to not use it, and very few reasons to use it.

It speeds up the program startup up to 50% (you can Google out various
benchmarks).  As almost any performance feature it sure comes with more
complexity of the ELF files handling.  The most easy ELF files processing
would be with -O0 code - so why do we build the programs with -O2?

Nowadays some people do not consider performance as anything to care about so
in such case it is understandable they do not see a need for prelink.

It is true that if program is written in C it is usually fast enough.
But specifically ARM may be the only popoular platform where I do not find the
C programs fast enough, though.

Regards,
Jan