[fedora-arm] Include prelink in fedora arm?

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Sep 7 05:48:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 07:54:17PM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 09/06/2011 06:53 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree That makes sense (although I do not think the prelink issues will be
> >> ARM specific and they are already resolved on other arches; I may be wrong).
> >
> > There could be ARM specific bugs. [...]  having the prelink
> > package available on ARM would at least help us all test and make
> > sure prelink works as intended. So please do include the package,
> > if only so people can do some measurements to check whether the
> > startup speedup is "just" 10% or even up to 50% on their machines.
>
> I agree on the dependency and testing part, but I think 10% is
> optimistic.

I will soon have a few different ARM machines that I can do testing
on.  Please let us know[1] your test suite if you want me to try to
substantiate your pessimism.

Here is the best reason I've heard for prelink on today's standard,
memory-constrained ARM device:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2011-May/032011.html

Please keep at least the option to enable prelinking in Fedora,
especially before anyone has any performance numbers.

> Gordan

Martin

1. A wiki page about prelink on ARM would probably be even better than
a mailing list post.  I will start one if nobody beats me to it.