[fedora-arm] Slow USB storage on A9 processors

David Marlin dmarlin at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 18:24:47 UTC 2011

Jeffrey Bastian wrote:
> On 2011-09-12 11:05, David Marlin wrote:
>> I'm not sure what the problem could be, unless there is some difference
>> in your network hardware or configuration. Does the boot log provide any
>> clues?
>
> The dmesg logs held the answer:
>      [   14.312866] smsc95xx: Unknown parameter `macaddr'
>
> D'oh!  I still have a /etc/modprobe.d/smsc95xx.conf file with contents
>      options smsc95xx macaddr=CA:BC:15:4D:B4:49
> from my attempts to get a persistent mac address.
>
> This file worked with 2.6.35, and apparently it was ignored with 2.6.39,
> but it's breaking 2.6.40.

I'm glad you were able to find the problem.  This kernel probably lacks
the patch to handle the persistent MAC address.  It does, however, have
support for Flattened Device Tree, and a patch to read a MAC address
from the device tree, which could be used to make the MAC address
persistent.

> I removed the file and now eth0 is working again!  Thanks!
>
> It's time for another round of bonnie++

I have resync'd the xpfa yum repo for f13 and verified
kernel-omap-2.6.40.3-2.02.fc13.armv7l.rpm is there.  I updated the panda
to 2.6.40.3-2.02 and it boots and runs without issue.

This version includes Mark Salter's patch, so you'll want it before
doing the USB storage performance testing.

Sorry for missing this earlier.

d.marlin