[fedora-arm] Slow USB storage on A9 processors

Jeffrey Bastian jbastian at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 14:49:51 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-12 13:24, David Marlin wrote:
> I'm glad you were able to find the problem. This kernel probably lacks
> the patch to handle the persistent MAC address. It does, however, have
> support for Flattened Device Tree, and a patch to read a MAC address
> from the device tree, which could be used to make the MAC address
> persistent.

Great!  I'll give the FDT a try next.

>> It's time for another round of bonnie++
>
> I have resync'd the xpfa yum repo for f13 and verified
> kernel-omap-2.6.40.3-2.02.fc13.armv7l.rpm is there. I updated the panda
> to 2.6.40.3-2.02 and it boots and runs without issue.
>
> This version includes Mark Salter's patch, so you'll want it before
> doing the USB storage performance testing.

The bonnie++ results were mixed.  Sequential reads showed a bit of a
boost, but writes and random seeks took a huge hit.  I published the
numbers on my blog:
http://jeffbastian.blogspot.com/2011/09/storage-speed-on-pandaboard-revisited.html

Thanks for building the kernel!

Jeff