[fedora-arm] Fedora 15 ARM hardfp status update

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Fri Sep 16 11:25:57 UTC 2011

THe hardfp bootstrap is progressing quite well, now at the stage of
resolving a fairly long list of build failures and circular package
dependencies.

The brute force dependency resolution have now come to an end, and
manual action is required to continue building packages. It's quite
amasing how many packages are FTBFS in F15, even major ones. Becaue fof
this the build queue is currently empty most of the time, but
occationally we repopulate a bunch of packages as problems gets
identified and resolved.

Notes on how problematic packages are solved is kept in detail at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap_package_status

wiki have also been updated (thanks DJ Delorie) with the notes from the
previous status update and additional notes colleced after that.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap#Stage_4_-_distribution_bootstrap
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap#Stage_4_Notes

For those running builders it is now relatively important you update yum
on the build node (yum update yum) and also keep the arm-rebuild.sh
script updated
http://arm-temp.ausil.us/pub/fedora-arm/arm-rebuild.sh

We are not yet ready to kill stage3 (but hopefully not before long), and
the original yum gets quite confused by the stage3/stage4 overlap in
package versions, often picking bad quality packages from stage3 when it
should have used stage4. And due to the shaking of the packages we are
currently doing on stage4 yum often fails for that reason as well which
is not handled well unless the script is updated.

If you do not update then you may actually do more harm than good at the
moment, causing false build failures. Most of them gets automatically
identified by other scripts however, just takes longer time.

If you have the time then please also update mock to
mock-1.1.12-1.fc15.noarch from Fedora-15 updates.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2011-9854
this fixes some PTY related problems and a couple of other minor things.
But this is not very important as I think all of those packages affected
by this have been built already.

mock 1.1.14 in updates-testing should be avoided. seem broken not saving
logs properly.

Regards
Henrik