[fedora-arm] Fedora 15 - ARM v5 and v7 plan of attack

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Wed Sep 21 20:59:17 UTC 2011

ons 2011-09-21 klockan 16:17 -0400 skrev Jon Masters:

> We will continue to build ARMv7 packages in the bootstrap effort. We
> will use GA packages as we have done. Those packages that fail to build
> with the GA sources will be built using updated sources. KDE and other
> stacks on a case-by-case basis will be granted a special exception, and
> all of the packages can be pulled from updates. We want to be close to
> GA, but we don't want to be unreasonable either. This should resolve
> most of the issues around FTBFS and updates issues.

Not really, but it's ok. I have raised my concerns and hope you read
them fully, including their long-term implications on the stuff
happening in F15 after the switch to koji.

> We will hold a review session tomorrow (Thursday September 22) on IRC
> that will be announced as a VFAD. At that time, we will review the
> release criteria for primary arch and the conventions of secondaries
> (for example "don't care about desktop use") with respect to the current
> list of failing packages. We will decide what we need to do to complete
> the bootstrap in mock of ARMv7, so that we can move on to Koji.

At what time?

Would really be nice if these things gets planned a couple of days
ahead.

> TARGET: October 14th or sooner for remaining packages/ready for Koji.

That's 3 weeks away. At current investment level in solving build issues
that's a way optimistic date imho. But obviously depends on what the
target functionality level is.

> ARMv5 F15 bootstrap
> -------------------
>
> Chris Tyler and the team at Seneca are going to throw dozens of builders
> at building the world of F15 v5 packages, using a similar approach to
> that done for v7 bootstrap. They only need to do the mock stage4, and
> will leverage all of the fixes and other work done so far.

The simple brute-force model is not really suitable for this as-is. If
you use this then two full rounds will be needed (f14->stage4,
stage4->stage4.1), and a fair bit of manual actions inbetween to solve
package mismatches. At least if you want a reasonably smooth koji run or
any form of reproducible quality level on the packages that comes out of
koji.

> Koji integration
> ----------------
>
> We will pull both sets of (matching) v7 and v5 packages into a Koji
> instance hosted at Seneca. A mass rebuild with both sets of builders
> will be initiated by October 21st with a goal of being complete prior to
> Fedora 16 GA. We will work together to make sure Koji is ready to do
> this by establishing a test v5/v7 instance as soon as possible.

good, I think.

> It is clear that we need some more process in place around the Fedora
> ARM effort. Thus far, it has been loosely organized on IRC, email, and
> in occasional calls between Chris and myself. I propose we soon
> establish weekly phone calls on my dialin (details to follow). At that
> time we will itemize what the outstanding tasks are, and determine the
> best course of action for the current release, next release, longer term
> goals around primary architecture integration, and overall process. It
> is important that everyone have a voice, and this is a fairer model.

phone is not really an option for me, and also very poor medium for
making any form of decisions or working over any forms or task lists or
even keeping correct notes of what was said.

normal Fedora meetings is #fedora-meeting.

Regards
Henrik