[fedora-arm] Fedora 15 - ARM v5 and v7 plan of attack

omalleys at msu.edu omalleys at msu.edu
Thu Sep 22 14:19:32 UTC 2011

I may not be able to attend the meeting, I have some personal business
I -may- have to take care of at noon. I usually try and block out part
of Friday's for VFAD's.

I'm not trying to override the F15 plan of attack, but in parallel to
the F15 effort, can we get a bootstrap for F16 armv7/armv5 started?
This part usually takes the longest, it is the hardest to debug and it
takes a certain skillset.

If there is an issue, now is the time to find them. After the GA
release, the process may have to be redone, but it -should-, in
theory, be easier. It isn't going to surprise me if the release gets
pushed back another week maybe two.

I'm not opposed to racing ahead with armv7 again especially before the
GA release.

To me this at least sounds sane. It may not to anyone else.

Here is the list of current blockers most of which I don't think would
affect an initial "stage 1-3" build environment:

Here is the list of blockers:
733448 	abrt 	VERIFIED 	abrt refuses to attach anaconda crash dump to
automated anaconda bug reports 	Build Status Update Status Package
Source Bug Reports
731177 	anaconda 	VERIFIED 	DeviceTreeError: MD RAID device md127 not
in devicetree after scanning all slaves 	Build Status Update Status
Package Source Bug Reports
734861 	anaconda 	VERIFIED 	text mode install fails ("you have not
created a bootloader stage1 target device") 	Build Status Update
Status Package Source Bug Reports
738964 	anaconda 	NEW 	Unable to make system bootable due to
bootloader choice 	Build Status Update Status Package Source Bug Reports
739746 	bind 	MODIFIED 	dhcp / bind mismatch on f15 to f16 upgrade: no
network 	Build Status Update Status Package Source Bug Reports
738803 	checkpolicy 	VERIFIED 	SELinux denial(s) prevent(s)
gnome-shell from starting on F16 Beta RC1 	Build Status Update Status
Package Source Bug Reports
737774 	digikam 	MODIFIED 	can't install or upgrade to latest digikam
or kipi-plugins 	Build Status Update Status Package Source Bug Reports
737118 	firstboot 	ON_QA 	firstboot-text prevents system from booting
	Build Status Update Status Package Source Bug Reports
739253 	gdm 	MODIFIED 	unable to shut down from gdm greeter 	Build
Status Update Status Package Source Bug Reports
731529 	grub 	VERIFIED 	grub making uefi calls without aligning stack
pointer 	Build Status Update Status Package Source Bug Reports
738387 	kernel 	VERIFIED 	ipw2200 driver deadlocks with itself trying
to take rtnl_mutex 	Build Status Update Status Package Source Bug
Reports
739345 	lorax 	VERIFIED 	pylorax throws an exception when used with
fedora-logos-16.0.2 	Build Status Update Status Package Source Bug
Reports
738735 	opencv 	NEW 	repoclosure failure for 16-Beta.RC1 DVD 	Build
Status Update Status Package Source Bug Reports
737731 	preupgrade 	ASSIGNED 	Bootloader is left in F15 configuration
when preupgrading to F16 	Build Status Update Status Package Source
Bug Reports
735866 	udev 	ASSIGNED 	boot hangs with udevadm settle - timeout of
120 seconds 	Build Status Update Status Package Source Bug Reports

Quoting Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com>:

> Folks,
>
> I've had a few conversations with stakeholders involved in Fedora 15
> work, both on IRC, by email, and on the phone. I would like to make a
> proposal for our plan of action in the short term.
>
> ARMv7 bootstrap stage4
> ----------------------
>
> We will continue to build ARMv7 packages in the bootstrap effort. We
> will use GA packages as we have done. Those packages that fail to build
> with the GA sources will be built using updated sources. KDE and other
> stacks on a case-by-case basis will be granted a special exception, and
> all of the packages can be pulled from updates. We want to be close to
> GA, but we don't want to be unreasonable either. This should resolve
> most of the issues around FTBFS and updates issues.
>
> We will hold a review session tomorrow (Thursday September 22) on IRC
> that will be announced as a VFAD. At that time, we will review the
> release criteria for primary arch and the conventions of secondaries
> (for example "don't care about desktop use") with respect to the current
> list of failing packages. We will decide what we need to do to complete
> the bootstrap in mock of ARMv7, so that we can move on to Koji.
>
> TARGET: October 14th or sooner for remaining packages/ready for Koji.
>
> ARMv5 F15 bootstrap
> -------------------
>
> Chris Tyler and the team at Seneca are going to throw dozens of builders
> at building the world of F15 v5 packages, using a similar approach to
> that done for v7 bootstrap. They only need to do the mock stage4, and
> will leverage all of the fixes and other work done so far. It is
> expected that they will be ready with a v5 build mid-October. We'll all
> pitch in and help, of course. We'll create an F14 based rootfs that can
> be used for that "stage4"-like build effort on builders not doing v7.
>
> TARGET: October 14th or sooner for the set of v5 packages.
>
> Koji integration
> ----------------
>
> We will pull both sets of (matching) v7 and v5 packages into a Koji
> instance hosted at Seneca. A mass rebuild with both sets of builders
> will be initiated by October 21st with a goal of being complete prior to
> Fedora 16 GA. We will work together to make sure Koji is ready to do
> this by establishing a test v5/v7 instance as soon as possible.
>
> TARGET: October 21st or sooner for mass rebuild.
>
> F15 release
> -----------
>
> I believe our goal should be to have an F15 alpha soon after F16 is
> released on or around Nov. 1. If we pull off the above, we should be
> able to get an alpha done before mid-November and then begin to turn our
> attention to getting F16 on track with a unified Koji, etc. We can also
> revisit koji-shadow tracking of rawhide, and so on.
>
> Fallback
> --------
>
> We will monitor the Koji situation. If there are going to be unforeseen
> [...]

"The information in this email, and attachment(s) thereto, is strictly
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the named recipient(s), and access to this e-mail, or any
attachment(s) thereto, by anyone else is unauthorized. Violations
hereof may result in legal actions. Any attachment(s) to this e-mail
have been checked for viruses, but please rely on your own
virus-checker and procedures. If you contact us by e-mail, we will
store your name and address to facilitate communications in the matter
concerned. If you do not consent to us storing your name and address
for above stated purpose, please notify the sender promptly. Also, if
you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender by
replying to this transmission, and delete the e-mail, its
attachment(s), and any copies of it without, disclosing it."