[fedora-arm] Arm on Qualcomm 7200A

Kellerman kelito at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 28 01:20:23 UTC 2011

2011/9/27 Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 15:01, Kellerman <kelito at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > Hi people, before all sorry for my bad english, I am latinoamerican
> > Ambassador, especifically in Venezuelan, I have a smartphone Huawei,
> Model
> > UM840. Actually is smartphone leader in Movilnet Carrier.
> >
> > My idea is: Run Fedora in um840 to promote Fedora in my country.
> >
> > um840 use a ARM11 Family processor, Qualcomm 7200A at 528Mhz with 198mb
> RAM.
> >
> > The phone have Android OS (2.1).
> >
> > if Android is based in Linux Kernel, then I think in port Fedora Linux to
> > phone.
> >
> > but I have two problems.
> >
> > 1) I don't know a bootloader to dual boot (Android + Fedora)
> > 2) I don't know How to port Fedora 12 Arm in readable binary image for
> > smartphone.
>
> I am not sure you will be able to dual boot android and fedora. Phones
> boot up in completely different way than IBM systems. Depending on the
> phone, the parts are hardwired in such a way to boot specifically to
> spot X which then must do a specific thing or the phone reboots itself
> or shuts down. This makes it so you can only have one image on a
> phone.
>
> Stephen, that you say its true. The really is the phone is not IBM Based
but I had HTC Touch Pro II with same processor of Huawei um840 (msm7200A)
and ubuntu running in it. Of course, its true the Touch Pro II run Windows
Phone OS but with haret bootloader is possible running linux on that
embedded processor.

I have some question, Fedora have capabilties to run in embbed devices? I
remember Fedora running in Nokia N900, this had a OMAP microprocessor, but
core of processor is ARM Cortex.

> The second thing is that a phone is not a PC. This means that the
> various busses (PCI, etc) may exist only in some sort of emulated form
> IF the right kernel is booted. Basically I don't think it would be an
> easy push to get Fedora to work on the phone and there would be a very
> good chance we would permanently brick the phone in trying to do so.

The Linux Kernel is very adaptive, that means what Linux is portable, it can
be run in diversity of devices. A IBM PC Compatible is only a little part
where Linux runs. I see running Linux in Home Routers Cisco, with minimal
hardware components such a Wireless Microprocessor.

Example: Atheros Wireless Integrated Chips.

> > Again, sorry for my bad english & thanks.
>
> Your english is quite good. My apologies that I can not converse in
> Espanol.
>
> > Regards.
> >
> > Kellerman Rivero (kelito)
> > Fedora Ambassador

> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.
> "The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance."
> Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
> "Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard
> battle." -- Ian MacLaren

To ending, I say one thing:

In my country (Venezuela), the tablet devices are not popular as many as
smartphone such as Blackberry, Samsung, etc. In consecuence, I Believe in
power of fedora to gain hearts of people when running it on a smartphone.

Kellerman Rivero
Fedora Ambassador