[fedora-arm] Raspberry Pi and Eclipse

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Wed Apr 18 16:29:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 17:56 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 11/28/2011 04:06 PM, Chris Tyler wrote:
> > We're working on the Raspberry Pi remix here (it has to be a remix
> > rather than a spin for now). As I've written on the Raspi forums, anyone
> > expecting to use Eclipse on a Pi is probably dreaming -- there's just
> > not enough RAM. The model "B" device has 256M, but the GPU will normally
> > be allocated 64M, leaving 192M for apps. You can boot in as little as
> > 11M, but after X and a DE, it doesn't look like there will be enough RAM
> > to use Eclipse without thrashing.
>
> I've been playing with it, and Eclipse works well from remote X (see
> attached), but not when run on the local display.  Eclipse debugging
> seems to want about 135M, so it doesn't fit nicely with X.

That's good to hear. Sounds like you need double Pi ... one for Eclipse
and one for the X server :-)

> Is there an F17 remix on the horizon?

Yes -- a group of students here have been hacking away on various pieces
over the last semester. I'm moving their stuff to my research group for
long-term maintenance and we'll push as much of it as appropriate into
Fedora proper -- there will still be a very few bits with ugly license
issues or where we need to build or optimize differently and haven't yet
reconciled with the main Fedora package, but these are rare and should
diminish over time.

-Chris