[fedora-arm] ARMv5 and atomic operations

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 16:01:29 UTC 2012

On 04/24/2012 04:49 PM, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Andrew Haley wrote:

>>> What alternative do you have, other than not using any atomic
>>> operations?
>>
>> What I've done already: I have my own routines.
>
> You may get some atomicity with the SWP instruction, but that is not
> sufficient to implement atomic increments and the like.
>
> You may use the SWP to implement some locking and perform the "atomic"
> operations under the lock protection, but that doesn't work if atomic
> operations are also performed in signal handlers, and that scales badly
> if concurency is high.
>
> So that really depends what your atomic needs are.  Implementing the
> latest library standards without any kernel help on ARMv5 or earlier is
> simply impossible.  But custom code can get away with less.

Oh I see what you mean now.  I'm inside the Java VM, so I can fall
back to locking if I'm on ARMv5; ldrexd is an optimization for doing
long-word updates rather than needed for correctness.

So, if I'm on v7 I have to have my own cmpxchg64 routines for older
kernels.  I have to fall back to locks on older CPUs, because I still
want to work on old kernels too.  I can't see any circumstances where
the kernel helper will be of any use.

Andrew.