[fedora-arm] Pandaboard kernel issues

Michal Toman mtoman at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 17:52:16 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

I've been using Fedora armv7 on my pandaboard since the F15 bootstrap,
now I'm running full F17 except for kernel. By the time I tried to
follow kernel releases in primary (even F16 ones), which have been
working perfectly until 3.2.

The last working (usable for desktop) kernel is 3.1.9-1.fc16. With this
one, I've been able to run LXDE, XFCE, KDE & also Gnome 3 fallback at
reasonable speed (I'm really using XFCE desktop right now). You can find
builds & source at http://mtoman.fedorapeople.org/arm/ - ignore dist
tag, I've rebuilt recently because I lost the original RPMs. If I
remember correctly, the only change to the original is disabled FTMAC100.

After updating to kernel 3.2, the video driver got broken. In 3.2.3, all
video output is sent to hdmi at 640x480 resolution regardless to kernel
cmdline (I'm using dvi at 1280x720). No oops messages appear.
In 3.2.6, the video does not work at all, but there is a periodically
repeating omapfb oops in syslog. The system itself still runs, can be
accessed via SSH or used as webserver, just the video is out.

After updating to 3.3, the system does not boot at all (tried all 3.3.0,
3.3.1, 3.3.2). Disabling audit doesn't help. Here are logs from two latest:
http://mtoman.fedorapeople.org/arm/panda-kernel-3.3.2-2.fc17.log
http://mtoman.fedorapeople.org/arm/panda-kernel-3.3.2-8.fc17.log

In addition, I've never seen audio working on panda, even though some
people say it used to.

Are these panda-specific issues, or are they at least known? Or am I
doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Michal

Note: I've only been building for omap.