[fedora-arm] Panda: wifi problems

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 21:31:42 UTC 2012

Hi.

Using the f17 panda xfce image, kernel 3.4.2-3.
Wifi is not working correctly.

What works:
Can see the list nearby APs in the nm-applet, and iwlist.

What does NOT work:
Associating to an access point.

D.Anders was hanging out in #fedora-arm the other day, and he
supposedly fixed this by doing something with firmware files.

Unfortunately I don't have the chat logs any more.
But according to prpplauge (D.Anders) it was looking for the wrong
firmware, using wl21xx-v3 instead of wl21xx-v4.... I'm paraphrasing,
and my memory is vague by now..

Presumably the files he was referring to are the firmwares in
/lib/firmware/ti-connectivity.

How can I find out which firmware file is being loaded?
dmesg says:
wl12xx: firmware booted (Rev 6.3.5.0.98)

I found that string in /lib/firmware/ti-connectivity/wl127x-fw-4-sr.bin
So I guess that is the currently loaded firmware, but not 100% certain.
There are several different firmware files in that path, could we
somehow be loading the wrong file?
My best guess is the driver has some bits to specify the firmware it wants?
Not even sure if firmware is related to the issue, could this be a red herring?
Just going on what prpplauge indicated, he seems legit ;-)

Can anybody else reproduce the problem statement?
Peter said it works for him, so ...

Thoughts?

Thanks

--