[fedora-arm] round in circles

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 19:50:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/2012 02:11 PM, Jon Masters wrote:
> > On 12/11/2012 01:38 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> chromebook.
> console
> installed the
> graphical
> either,
> build
> >>
> >> gnome 3 won't work as we don't have 3D support in the X drivers.
> >> You'll need to use xfce/kde/mate etc.
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > $ yum groupinstall "XFCE Software Development"
> >
> > If that doesn't work, I can arrange to give you a copy of a known-good
> > filesystem. But I'm not ready to publish that more broadly.
>
> Oops. I meant Xfce not the development group :) "yum grouplist" is your
> friend for seeing these groups of packages.

Hello David,

Here are the steps I used to get F18 working on chromebook

The first few steps are done on my desktop, where the sdcard is "/dev/sdc".
Your miles may vary....

These are snippets of a shell script so some of these steps might look
gnarly, my apologies.

sgdisk --set-alignment=8192     \
       --new=1:8192:+16M        \
       --typecode=1:7f00        \
       --change-name=1:"KERN-A" \
       --attributes=1:set:48    \
       --attributes=1:set:51    \
       --attributes=1:set:52    \
       --attributes=1:set:54    \
       --attributes=1:set:56    \
       --new=2:40960:+16M       \
       --typecode=2:7f00        \
       --change-name=2:"KERN-B" \
       --attributes=2:set:51    \
       --attributes=2:set:52    \
       --attributes=2:set:54    \
       --attributes=2:set:56    \
       --new=3:73728:+500M      \
       --typecode=3:8200        \
       --change-name=3:"swap"   \
       --new=4:1097728:0        \
       --typecode=4:8300        \
       --change-name=4:"rootfs" \
       /dev/sdc

##
## Create labels and universal ids, for tagging the storage mounts.
##
SWAP_LABL='swap'
SWAP_UUID=$(uuidgen)
ROOT_LABL='rootfs'
ROOT_UUID=$(uuidgen)

##
## Setup rootfs and swap
##
mkfs.ext4 -v -b 4096 -m 2 \
          -L "$ROOT_LALB" \
          -U "$ROOT_UUID" \
          /dev/sdc4

mkswap    -L "$SWAP_LABL" \
          -U "$SWAP_UUID" \
          /dev/sdc3

##
## Download and install the image
##

wget
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm-nightlies/vault/f18-beta-tc1/F18-panda-20121130.img.xz-O
/tmp/F18-panda-20121130.img.xz

unxz /tmp/F18-panda-20121130.img.xz
mkdir -p /mnt/{src,dest}
mount  -o loop,offset=735051776  /tmp/F18-panda-20121130.img  /mnt/src
mount  /dev/sdc4  /mnt/dest
( cd /mnt/src ; tar cf - * ) | ( cd /mnt/dest ; tar xvpf - )
umount /mnt/src

##
## Fixup the fstab with the uuid's
##

cat <<-EOF > /mnt/dest/etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab

UUID=$ROOT_UUID        /        ext4    defaults         1  1
UUID=$SWAP_UUID        swap     swap    defaults            0  0

EOF

##
## Fixup the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
##
cat <<-EOF > /mnt/dest/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section ServerFlags
    Option     'DontZap'       'false'
    Option     'StandbyTime'   '0'
    Option     'SuspendTime'   '0'
    Option     'OffTime'       '0'
    Option     'BlankTime'     '0'
EndSection

Section Monitor
    Identifier 'Monitor0'
EndSection

Section Device
    Identifier 'Device0'
    Driver     'fbdev'
    Option     'monitor-LVDS1' 'Monitor0'
EndSection

Section InputClass
    Identifier 'Touchpad0'
    MatchIsTouchpad  'on'
    Option     'FingerHigh'    '5'
    Option     'FingerLow'     '5'
EndSection

EOF

##
## Correct the hostname
##
cat <<-EOF > /mnt/dest/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=chromebook-f18-v7hfp
EOF

##
## Install a shell script on the sdcard to do the last steps
##

cat <<FOO > /mnt/dest/root/chrome-kernel.bash

echo "console=tty1 debug verbose root=/dev/mmcblk1p4 rootwait rw" >
/media/removable/rootfs/root/kernel-cmdline

vbutil_kernel --pack /media/removable/rootfs/root/newkern \
              --keyblock /usr/share/vboot/devkeys/kernel.keyblock \
              --version 1 \
              --signprivate
/usr/share/vboot/devkeys/kernel_data_key.vbprivk \
              --config=/media/removable/rootfs/root/kernel-cmdline \
              --vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.0 \
              --arch arm

for N in 1 2
  do dd if=/media/removable/rootfs/root/newkern of=/dev/mmcblk1p${N}
done

cp -rf /lib/modules/*  /media/removable/rootfs/lib/modules/
cp -rf /lib/firmware/* /media/removable/rootfs/lib/firmware/

crossystem dev_boot_usb=1

FOO

##
## Because this is an XFCE image for panda, you can safely remove
kernel-omap
##

# now put the chrome book in dev mode and run the script.

# The END

-Jon Disnard