[fedora-arm] Soft-float chroot on hard-float distro and vice versa

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 15:01:03 UTC 2012

2012/12/15 Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info>:
> On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 10:10 +0000, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been trying to google this and I haven't been able to find a
>> definitive answer on the subject. I seem to recall a discussion on this
>> list a while back, with the general conclusion being that this is
>> problematic, but my googling threw up a few pages about Debian implying
>> that it could be made to work.
>>
>> Has anybody got any words of wisdom on this subject they might care to
>> share? I am mainly interested in this from the point of view of running
>> a Fedora chroot under Android with VNC on loopback on a Nexus 10.
>

> Since the kernel interfaces are not affected by the ABI choice, a
> properly set-up chroot with a different ABI from the native ABI of the
> system should work fine.

  Exactly. On a panda board for example, it possible to run all
combinations of chroots created with a gcc built with
--with-float=softfp or --with-float=hard
--with-mode=thumb or --with-mode=arm
--with-fpu=vfpv3-d16 or --with-fpu=neon
Those I know for sure, as I did build all combinations some time ago.

> We used this during the armv7hl bring-up and still use it occasionally
> for composing; I think Jon Chiappetta is using it for the armv6hl work
> as well.
>
> -Chris

Paulo