[fedora-arm] A Quick Linux Question For Anyone Out There

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 00:25:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Jonathan Chiappetta
<jchiappetta at learn.senecac.on.ca> wrote:

> I need your help!
>
> So it turns out dd.exe on Windows in SYNC mode can write to block devices
> (which I didn't even think it had)
> fairly faster compared to Linux. Windows can achieve a little over 1 M/s
> write speed while Linux only gets
> 300 K/s. I'm not certain but I think Linux can get faster writes speeds in
> ASYNC copy mode, however,
> this isn't useful for the Installer application as it wont get any feedback
> regarding the current copy. So my
> question for all of you is, if I'm dd'ing data to /dev/sdc in ASYNC mode for
> example, is there anyway in Linux
> to call some sort of method or application to get either how much data has
> been copied or how much data
> is left to copy?
>

> I'm really having a hard time believing that the creators of Linux failed to
> implement a lower-level method
> in the Kernel or Library somewhere to at least query how much data is left
> to sync for a particular buffer...
> that would be very frustrating if true as it such a simple, needed method to
> write for any asynchronous
> application!

I would just use sync mode. The data has to be written one way or the
other so you end up either writing async and calling sync to ensure
it's all written out or writing it out sync. I'm not sure what async
gains. You have X amount of MB to write and only so much bandwidth to
push it through.