[fedora-arm] Unable to boot from rootfs-f15-sfp-alpha1.tar.bz2 with qemu-system-arm

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Tue Feb 28 23:58:49 UTC 2012

I am trying to start a project involving ARM and Fedora. I read the page http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM, and downloaded the file http://fedora.roving-it.com/rootfs-f15-sfp-alpha1.tar.bz2 which was labeled as "Fedora 15 Alpha 1 release for
ARMv5tel <http://fedora.roving-it.com/rootfs-f15-sfp-alpha1.tar.bz2>". I am still waiting for an ARM board, so I installed qemu-system-arm in Fedora 16 x86_64. After reading http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu, I prepared an ext3
filesystem image, unzipped the downloaded file into it, and attempted to boot with the following command:

qemu-system-arm -m 256 -M versatilepb -kernel boot/vmlinuz-2.6.41.6-1.fc15.armv5tel -initrd boot/initramfs-2.6.41.6-1.fc15.armv5tel.img -hda fedora-15-arm.img -net nic -net user -append "console=ttyS0 root=LABEL=rootfs rw"

No matter how many variations of this I try, I get a black screen in the qemu video console. On the qemu serial console, I get "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.", and no further output. The qemu-system-arm process gets stuck at 100% CPU.

Other options for -M either behave the same, or do not even display the "Uncompressing..." message.

I do not get enough information to even guess whether the kernel will see the hard disk image or not.

What is exactly what I am doing wrong? Did I download the wrong image?