[fedora-arm] Thought there might be some Interest. Rasperry Pi

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Wed Feb 29 13:17:34 UTC 2012

On 29/02/12 13:07, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Peter Robinson wrote:
>>>
>>> Still only available for pre-order-interest-registration, though.
>>>
>>> The good news, however, is that the type A device (available some
>>> time later
>>> this year allegedly) looks like it will also ship with 256MB of RAM
>>> (instead
>>> of the originally planned 128MB), which elevates it from "useless" to
>>> "mostly useless" as far as running a current Linux distro is concerned.
>>
>> Fedora at least runs just fine with 256Mb of RAM. I have a few devices
>> with such spec that will happy run a UX on them, the XO-1 is one
>> example.
>
> Define "runs just fine", please. Default desktop environment with some
> commonly used applications like Firefox and Thunderbird? My Thunderbird
> expands to over 150MB of RAM when it loads.
>
> And then there's LibreOffice...
>
> If "runs just fine" is intended to mean "average desktop use", I don't
> think the experience with 256MB of RAM fits the description.
>
> Gordan
Gordan,

I think you are missing the point of the Raspberry PI. It is not meant
to be a "professional" proper workplace fully blown machine. It is a
development board for kids and teenagers, with the odd University
student thrown in. Whatever other developers do with it is another story.

Regards,
Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org