[fedora-arm] kernel BUG at drivers/mtd/maps/physmap.c:158!

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 21:00:20 UTC 2012

On 06/15/2012 04:17 PM, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On 06/15/2012 10:06 AM, Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:
>> Still present in 3.4.2-3.fc17.armv5tel:
>
> Jon Masters tracked this down.  For the time being add the following to
> the kernel command line (IE, the append=...):
>
>    physmap.enabled=0

For the record, the vexpress model doesn't provide a full emulation of
the MTD flash, but the vexpress kernel provides glue that causes udev to
try to load the physmap driver. So on real hardware, this is ok, but in
the model, it dies during probe when it doesn't see hardware (that's
probably a kernel bug - it ought not to oops there). The hack is to
specify a kernel module parameter (enabled=0) that doesn't exist (there
is no "enabled") since we intentionally engineered the module utilities
to handle that case by failing to load the module. So, udev tries to
load it, the module gets an unknown parameter, fails, and we're cool.

We don't need this fixed, but obviously it does need fixing for general
happiness and for us to remove the need for this command line hack.

Jon.