[fedora-arm] RHEL6 ARM Port

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Mar 5 19:47:26 UTC 2012

On 03/05/2012 06:59 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> "Once I get the RedSleeve (RHEL6 ARM port) released
>
> Red Hat Legal is very strict about not using the RHEL brand for
> non-RHEL software. Do NOT even refer to RHEL *at all* when referring
> to this project.

Fair enough - it is kind of hard to explain what it is a clone of if
you're not allowed to use the R-word, but I'll make a conscious effort
to instead apply a long and convoluted explanation instead in the future
without mentioning the R-word.

> Even the "Red" in "RedSleeve" might be implication
> enough for them to be concerned.  CentOS and the others have already
> learned this lesson.  Note: I'm not complaining about the port, just
> warning you about the name.

Names are easy to change at this stage, and I have a backup name in mind
should it become an issue. :)

> Also, you're much better off porting CentOS instead - they've already
> done the work of removing trademarked graphics and such, giving you a
> legally clean slate to work off.  Why duplicate the effort?

In retrospect, that might have saved some re-branding effort, but at
this point weeding out the last of the branding references shouldn't be
too difficult. The redhat-logos package (the only one explicitly listed
that I have in my distro) has already been re-worked to remove all RH
related graphics.

Gordan