[fedora-arm] ARM and shipping of various binary firmware / boot bits

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 00:14:23 UTC 2012

Hey spot,

On our weekly call today we discussed the always fun bit of binary
blobs. ARM has the usual wireless and associated blobs most of which i
think are already upstream (and already in Fedora).

The bits that came up is uboot, MLO (X-Loader) [1]  and what ever some
of the other devices use such as the Raspberry Pi. In the first
example the source code is available but forked from upstream, in the
later it's a binary blob not that dissimilar presumably to a wifi
firmware. For the binary blobs is the process the same as per wifi or
any other binary? What about the MLO/uboot, is it enough to package
the binaries and include details in COPYING/spec where the source code
is?

I'm sure there's some other cases I've not thought of that you might
be aware of too. Can you advise of the best and easiest way for us to
deal with these?

Thanks,
Peter

[1] http://omappedia.org/wiki/Bootloader_Project