[fedora-arm] ARM and shipping of various binary firmware / boot bits

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 15:16:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/08/2012 10:04 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

>>> In that situation, will we still need the uboot/MLO stuff?
>>
>> Yes, I believe so.
>
> Okay, so I'm admittedly a bit lost here, because we don't normally ship
> BIOS code for any other platform (apart from qemu). Why is ARM different
> in that regard? Why don't the vendors deliver BIOS (or equivalent)?

In some cases they do and we don't need to worry about it, in other
cases like the PandaBoard they're likely just being too tight to put a
flash chip on the board to hold the FW/BIOS so you have to have a
small partition at the beginning of the SD to hold it and the SoC
basically searches for a location that is set by pin combinations for
the SoC boot code off serial/mmc/usb,