[fedora-arm] ARM and shipping of various binary firmware / boot bits

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 17:05:15 UTC 2012

On 03/08/2012 11:43 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> I'm sure I don't understand the considerations involved, but it seems
> that including a mandatory *free software* blob should be more readily
> acceptable than an optional *proprietary* blob, yet the reverse seems
> to be happening.  Could you clarify the reasoning behind this?

I just got off the phone with Dennis Gilmore, so I'll repeat myself here
(albeit more succinctly).

If the source code is available under a Free license for the MLO/Uboot,
package it and build it from source.

The argument that the hardware vendor will not "support" it is somewhat
silly, since they're not going to "support" Fedora either. I don't see a
good reason to treat a pre-built MLO/Uboot file as a firmware blob when
the source is available, and I don't see a reason to waive the "must be
built from source" requirement either.

~tom

==
Fedora Project