[fedora-arm] Primary Architecture - VFAD proposal for tomorrow (Wed Mar 14th 2012 afternoon EST)

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Wed Mar 14 17:26:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 14:44 -0700, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On 03/13/2012 12:02 PM, Jon Masters wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I would like to propose that we have a VFAD tomorrow to get the Primary
> > Architecture stuff moving forward, prior to our status phone call, and
> > rolling on into it. What say you?
>
> Yes please.  Any time after 1900 UTC is good for me.
>
> For those who would like to take part please have a look at:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraARM
>
> The "How To Test", "User Experience", and so forth sections need
> plumping.  The rest needs trimming :-)

Hi folks -- Unfortunately I won't be able to join the vfad or call
today. I made some minor edits on the pages (including a link from the
older proposal page to the Feature page) and would add these brief
comments:

- We say "The goal herein is to mainstream the building of Fedora
packages on ARM, then make those packages readily available for end
users" -- this sounds like a weak expression of the goal. Perhaps we
should say "The goal is to bring the complete Fedora package set to
emerging ARM general-purpose computers."

- We also say "ARM systems which are suitable for building packages are
of primary interest". I think this should instead say that
"General-purpose ARM systems (as opposed to consumer electronics
systems) are of primary interest". The XO 1.75 and Raspberry Pi don't
make great builders, for example, but they are clearly target devices
for this initiative. The iPad and the HTC Desire are definitely NOT
target devices, even though they may have similar specs, because they
are CE devices.

- I think we can strengthen the wording supporting the case for primary
arch. Starting the Benefits to Fedora section with "One might wonder,
since ARM is not yet at full feature parity of x86_64, why should it be
promoted?" seems weak. A stronger approach might be to state that adding
support for the XO and Raspi alone will net Fedora tens of thousands of
new users, and providing complete and fully-supported Fedora on upcoming
ARM enterprise-grade servers will enable server farms to mix'n'match
and/or switch to energy-, space-, and heat-saving ARM systems with
minimal effort.

$0.02

--
Chris