[fedora-arm] Custom compiled kernel hangs on spawning /sbin/init

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Thu Mar 15 17:49:05 UTC 2012

I am having trouble booting a Fedora-15 ARM userspace on a pico-SAM9G45 with a custom-compiled kernel.

http://arm.mini-box.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I am able to cross-compile a vendor-supplied kernel source with support for fbcon to see what I am doing. The boot microSD has a FAT boot partition with an uImage and a ext3 partition with Fedora 15. The ext3 filesystem previously booted correctly on a
qemu-system-arm emulation with -M versatilepb . On the LCD I see the penguin logo and the ordinary kernel messages, but stops right after "Freeing init memory: 140K" Then I have no output from userspace.

I can plug in an USB keyboard and I see kernel messages. I can even scroll up and down on the LCD output using the USB kernel. That shows that the kernel is not dead. So I suspect I am having trouble running /sbin/init .However, I see no output that could
point me to what exactly is wrong. Nothing like a SIGSEGV or an incompatibility message. The root filesystem is being mounted, because I see "VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) on device 179:2"

I have tried adding initcall_debug to the kernel command line but it has no effect in my case.

The kernel is being booted without an initrd. At first I thought it could be the issue, but I tried replicating the problem on a x86 PC (removing the initrd directive from GRUB and adding root=/dev/sdb2) and the system does boot to completion.

I also though maybe the Fedora 15 init requires /dev/ to be populated, so I checked. It has /dev/null , /dev/console, and /dev/zero. I tried adding /dev/mmcblk0, /dev/mmcblk0p1 and /dev/mmcblk0p2 but it also has no effect.

I searched in Google and found a post that described a problem similar to my own, and resolved it to an OABI/EABI incompatibility. However, the .config I used for the kernel has CONFIG_AEABI=y and CONFIG_OABI_COMPAT=y , just the same as
config-2.6.41.6-1.fc15.armv5tel being used to compare.

The config file used to compile the kernel is attached.