[fedora-arm] Diagnosing instruction set or EABI mismatch with proprietary binary

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 20:21:33 UTC 2012

Hi ARM list!

I am working with Peter on putting the final touches on the OS that
goes on these 60K laptops [0]. The OS is based on F-14 armv5tel. Old,
I know, but we'll release a build of F17 mid-2012 to attune for our
outmoded ways :-)

One of the side projects we have is to make Skype run on these
XO-1.75s, using SkypeKit [1] (they give you the runtime, and a
unixsockets API, you build the UI). The SDK contains 3 binaries:
ARMv5, ARMv6, ARMv7.

So on F14-armv5tel, I am trying to run the ARMv5 binary. It starts up
and remains spinning.

On a pre-alpha build of F17-armv7hl, the ARMv5 binary runs (buggy);
the ARMv7 binary spins doing nothing.

I am still debugging this, but I strongly suspect an EABI or compiler
options mismatch. Is there any reasonable approach to test those two
theories?

Thanks, and apologies for the off-topic post,

0 - http://blog.laptop.org/2012/03/16/uruguay-is-first-country-to-get-xo-1-75/
1 - http://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions