[fedora-arm] ARM Primary FESCO discussion results, round 1

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 20:00:47 UTC 2012

On 03/20/2012 02:48 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Are alignment problems not considered bugs? It's not just that this will
> break code on ARM < v7 and IIRC SPARC, but alignment issues also cause
> cache line straddling which has a performance impact.

I took this question to be a case of
knowing-just-enough-about-ARM-to-be-harmful.  It's really a non-issue,
particularly since later ARM chips don't have the problem.

> Is there any actual reason why Anaconda cannot be used? What is to stop
> booting a suitable installation kernel for the target platform and
> having that fetch/mount an installation rootfs that takes over, same as
> it does in x86? Granted the amount of RAM is an issue, but that's just a
> case of dieting the installer back to a saner size (de-lobotomizing the
> text mode installer back to how it was before F11, for example).

Anaconda isn't *quite* ready to go yet.  And you don't actually gain
much by using Anaconda for many devices- you still have to write an
image to a removal storage device.  Which you then run boot... and it
writes a new image to a storage device.  You've just made more work for
yourself when you could have installed a working image directly.

On the server side, PXE abilities mean there's more to be said about
Anaconda support.  The only issue is, they don't exist yet :-P

> I found that if the kernel has support for the right SoC, it is simply a
> case of adding a suitable SoC merge config file and plumbing it in for
> the build based on a build flag. I have somewhere a
> 2.6.32-220.<something> kernel src.rpm that builds for both x86 and
> Marvell Kirkwood, and it was reasonably straightforward to achieve (even
> if it did require fixing a few bugs that were introduced by upstream
> vendor patches that didn't manifest on the primary arch).

Yes, using one kernel source rpm is working fine for us.  It's the long
build time which needs to be overcome.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com