[fedora-arm] kallsyms issue

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Fri Mar 23 07:30:22 UTC 2012

Hey Folks,

I know roughly what the issue is with the kallsyms problem in the kernel
now, or I think I do. It's late, but, quickly, the kernel does the
following during build:

1). Generate a tmp vmlinux that isn't the final one with empty kallsyms
2). Run the kallsyms generation to make a compressed table
3). Dump out temporary System.map using this
4). Rerun kallsyms and generate a second System.map
5). Diff the two System.map files

The system.map files should be identical, but in this case they are
shifted after kallsyms_names (from kallsyms_markers) onwards. I believe
the problem is that the linker is doing something screwy the second time
around and we're exactly 4 words off with our addresses.

Anyway. Now I think I'm looking in the right area and understand what
we're trying to do it is of course too late to finish tracking this
down. But I'll aim to have it figured out before the weekend.

Jon.