[fedora-arm] ARM coredumps are missing build-ids

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Tue May 8 21:03:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 07:03:38PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance with the build-id feature. I know that it is
> generated by binutils (and driven by gcc's linker stage to include into
> the resulting binaries) but I believe it is then stripped out as part of
> the debuginfo generation.

The build-id note (.note.gnu.build-id) is in both the original ELF file
and in the .debug file. The note is also marked as SHF_ALLOC so that it
appears in the executable image, and should be put in the core file when
dumped.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBuildId for an overview.

A simple way to get the build-id(s) is through eu-unstrip (part of elfutils).

build-id from an executable, shared library or separate debuginfo file:
$ eu-unstrip -n -e <exec|.sharedlib|.debug>

build-ids of an executable and all shared libraries from a core file:
$ eu-unstrip -n --core <corefile>

build-ids of an executable and all shared libraries of a running process:
$ eu-unstrip -n --pid <pid>

Cheers,

Mark