[fedora-arm] Network not working on Devkit8000

Robert Nelson robertcnelson at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:16:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Danilo Câmara <fcdanilo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Devkit8000 is a BeagleBoard clone that has an Enthernet interface.
> I've installed Fedora 14 ARM as described in
> http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardFedora using the following command:
> $ sudo ./mk_mmc.sh --mmc /dev/sdb --uboot beagle_xm

Patches welcome*, as I DO NOT have the Devkit8000, so i'm unable to
test/fix it...

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/stable-kernel

Remember this is also using an external kernel, with fedora userspace...

> Early on boot I see this message:
>    Net:   Net Initialization Skipped
>    No ethernet found.
>    Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
>
> I'm able to login as root but I can not bring up the network:
>
> # modprobe dm9000
> [  275.382568] dm9000 Ethernet Driver, V1.31
>
> # ifup eth0
> Device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.
>
> In the original Angstrom image that came with the board, the network
> is identified during boot and works fine:
>    brd: module loaded
>    loop: module loaded
>    dm9000 Ethernet Driver, V1.31
>    eth0: dm9000a at c88ae000,c88b2400 IRQ 185 MAC: 00:11:22:33:44:55 (chip)
>
> I used "--uboot beagle_xm" because it also has Enthernet interface,
> but I tried with "beagle_bx" and "beagle_cx" with the same results.

That's because, the only difference between those boards, is the
disabling of eth0 on bootup...  But still your using the Beagle
MLO/u-boot.img on a non Beagle device...  (In the past i had to
separate them to using different version of MLO/u-boot.bin, but those
days are past, so there's zero bootloader differences now between
those 3..)

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson