[fedora-arm] Unable to boot 3.3.6-3.fc17.armv5tel with qemu-system-arm

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Tue May 22 20:02:40 UTC 2012

On 05/22/2012 12:54 PM, Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:
> If I specify -M vexpress-a9, I can sort of boot the kernel. However no
> block device matching the disk image appears anywhere, so the boot
> process drops to an debug shell, like this:

The 3.3.6 kernels are exclussively versatile express so you must use -M
vexpress-a9

[snip]
> [ 50.760153] dracut Warning: Unable to process initqueue
> dracut Warning: Unable to process initqueue
> [ 50.773711] dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-label/rootfs does not exist
> dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-label/rootfs does not exist

This is because your initramfs does not contain the mmci driver.  There
is a workaround installed in the current set of images being generated
right now.  I just booted and tested this one:

http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm-nightlies/vault/f17arm-20120522-192910-armhfp-vexpress-mmcblk0.img.xz

You might find the 'boot-vexpress' and 'boot-vexpress+x' scripts, not to
mention the prebuilt initramfs in this archive to be helpful:

http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm-nightlies/vault/f17arm-20120522-192910-armhfp-vexpress-mmcblk0-kernel.tar.xz

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com