[fedora-arm] To get closer to the ARM team…

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri May 25 08:45:55 UTC 2012

Hi Kevin,

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Kévin Raymond
<shaiton at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I wanted to join the ARM effort a year ago, but I am not a fan of virt (QEMU…).
> And you're really active, I couldn't get all what you were doing guys,
> amazing!!!
>
> I am organizing a Fedora 17 Release Party Sat 2nd of June, and I plan
> to give a Fedora ARM talk…
> As I've now a dreamplug and a XO 1.75, I plan to install Fedora on them.

The XO-1.75 already runs Fedora and we have images for F-17 (have had
since Nov last year).

> My backgrounds:
> I am working on embedded systems for few years, know how to cross
> compile a vanilla kernel and few bootloaders.
> I don't really know the Fedora building architecture (bodhi, koji…)
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> - How to cross build Fedora by hand (with specific target)? (Is there
> a general repo for patches, file system…?)
> - How to cross build Fedora by hand for a supported/tested target
> (like the one released for F17 Beta)?

We don't cross compile anything, all the Fedora ARM packages are
compiled natively on ARM platforms.

Regards,
Peter

>  [0] probably link to the right page, but only found info about the
> kernel, nothing about file system, yum…
> - How do you guys work with arm.koji.fedoraproject.org? How one
> contributor could help getting failed packages built?
>  [1] is probably the answer, but as I know basically nothing about
> koji… (I only know how to build an RPM locally).

arm.koji works in exactly the same way as mainline Fedora. All
packages built are done so automatically by a script called
koji-shadow so that we get an identical package set as mainline. So if
you fix a package it needs to be fixed and built on mainline and the
build will automatically happen on ARM soon after.

You can test scratch builds using "arm-koji build --scratch rawhide
package.src.rpm"

> - The status about ARM as a primary arch? (Ok, I could probably find
> it on my mailbox… but the thread is so long).
>  The main issue is to get Anaconda, right?

We now have a criteria to move towards the primary goal from FESCo.
Anaconda is one, kernels is another. The packaging side of things is
almost there. There's likely a number of other things as well
procedural amongst others.

> - What are the needs on the team? Getting failed packages to build on koji.arm?

There's a list of packages that need assistance / investigation here.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora17_rawhide#broken_on_arm_general_packages