[fedora-arm] Fix for Multiplatform F19 kernels

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 17:09:27 UTC 2012

On 11/29/2012 04:32 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Please take a look at the attached. Note that the default kernel variant
>> is actually a versatile, and you weren't inheriting that. Also, we need
>> to set the V6_V7 multiplatform option because the current Kconfig logic
>> will otherwise enable AUTO CPU support, which will force us to have a V5
>> kernel. So take a look. I'll be online later.
>>
>> Tested with a cross compiler only, but it built.
>
> A couple of things:
>
> This is incorrect as we've uncoupled the unified from the rest of the
> kernel to simplify and clean up the build.
> -temp-armv7l-versatile: config-arm-versatile temp-arm-generic
> +temp-armv7l-versatile: config-armv7 config-arm-versatile temp-arm-generic

But, the unified kernel is the default kernel, right? As in kernel- is
the unified kernel? That one is currently a versatile kernel. It is, if
you look in Makefile.config pulling its config from the versatile config
files per the above, which without explicitly pulling in config-armv7
means that you get whatever versatile turns on for you, and certainly
none of the intended config-armv7 bits.

Unless I am missing something, there's a bug in the existing config
merging that is actually the root cause here. Please explain what you
are trying to do with joining these if I am wrong.

> Apologies for this one as I assumed the V7 multi would depend or
> automatically set this and it wasn't in the original unified config
> from Arnd.
> +CONFIG_CPU_V7=y

It wasn't clear this was always the case from looking at the logic.

> And I removed this as I assumed "CONFIG_ARCH_MULTI_V7" was all we
> wanted for a V7 kernel.
> +CONFIG_ARCH_MULTI_V6_V7=y

Yea, that one is definitely something we need to set.

Jon.