[fedora-arm] Fix for Multiplatform F19 kernels

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 16:57:20 UTC 2012

Fair enough. My thought was you still wanted to turn on all the express drivers. Versatile is specially handled in the kernel config logic so I thought you were doing the same. All is good.
--
Sent from my phone. Please excuse formatting and brevity.

Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 11/29/2012 04:32 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> Please take a look at the attached. Note that the default kernel variant
>>> is actually a versatile, and you weren't inheriting that. Also, we need
>>> to set the V6_V7 multiplatform option because the current Kconfig logic
>>> will otherwise enable AUTO CPU support, which will force us to have a V5
>>> kernel. So take a look. I'll be online later.
>>>
>>> Tested with a cross compiler only, but it built.
>>
>> A couple of things:
>>
>> This is incorrect as we've uncoupled the unified from the rest of the
>> kernel to simplify and clean up the build.
>> -temp-armv7l-versatile: config-arm-versatile temp-arm-generic
>> +temp-armv7l-versatile: config-armv7 config-arm-versatile temp-arm-generic
>
> But, the unified kernel is the default kernel, right? As in kernel- is
> the unified kernel? That one is currently a versatile kernel. It is, if
> you look in Makefile.config pulling its config from the versatile config
> files per the above, which without explicitly pulling in config-armv7
> means that you get whatever versatile turns on for you, and certainly
> none of the intended config-armv7 bits.
>
> Unless I am missing something, there's a bug in the existing config
> merging that is actually the root cause here. Please explain what you
> are trying to do with joining these if I am wrong.

The fix is actually this. With unified kernel the versatile config
file (highbank too) don't actually get used at all and are due to be
removed. I didn't want to do that until I knew we were good to go.

-kernel-$(VERSION)-armv7l.config: /dev/null temp-armv7l-versatile
+kernel-$(VERSION)-armv7l.config: /dev/null temp-armv7

I managed to miss this in the move. Good catch to give me the general
direction to look :)

Pete