[fedora-arm] Fedora 17 and Fedora 18 both hang on Dreamplug

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 3 13:37:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:03 AM, Scott Sullivan <scott at ss.org> wrote:
> On 10/02/2012 07:40 PM, Eric Floehr wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a Fedora desktop user and have a couple of Dreamplugs with a JTAG
>> I'm working with and trying to get Fedora on.
>>
>> However, both the Fedora 17 image and the current nightly Fedora 18
>> image soft lockup on boot, at about the same place.
>

> I've been having the same problem with mine, but haven't been working on it.
> Now there is just now new kernel released, so that's worth a shot.
>

>> I was wondering what the next steps in debugging this would be, and if I
>> can help in any way to test builds, file bugs, etc. I would love to
>> contribute and help out and use a Dreamplug as a test box. I'm new to
>> ARM and embedded systems, but am willing to learn (would love to know
>> how to build a uImage, SD card .xz file, etc.)
>

> Well, from your logs the issue is happening after the systems has booted,
> (Kernel is done, and Dracut has already mounted the rootfs and passed
> control to init).
>
> Try adding 'single' to your boot args to go directly to a root shell.
> Try blacklisting the nand kernel module (as that's where it's failing if I'm
> reading it right)? As far as I know the DreamPlug has no nand flash.

Yeah, my understanding is as well that the orion_nand module is
causing these troubles. I do not know if the DreamPlug has a NAND or
not, but loading the module is surely optional.

You can try to do the following steps:
1. add the following "kernel" parameter (it's actually dracut acting
on it): rd.driver.blacklist=orion_nand
2. create a file in /etc/modprobe.d/disable-orion_nand.conf with the
contents "blacklist orion_nand"

This should prevent the orion_nand module from getting loaded and
hopefully your DreamPlugs boot a little further.

Good luck,
Niels