[fedora-arm] Who's using Kirkwood?

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Mon Oct 8 21:56:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 02:53:45PM -0400, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 02:35 PM, Till Maas wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 05:43:33AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> >
> >>I'm interested to know who is using Kirkwood, and who would miss it if
> >>it went away. For now, we won't kill off ARMv5 because it is used in the
> >>official rPi builds but that doesn't mean I'm not interested to know
> >>whether we should put testing effort into Kirkwood for F18.
> >>
> >>My thought is that the latest plugs are moving to ARMv7, and so as the
> >>cutting edge Linux distro, we should make plans for deprecating support
> >>over the coming releases. This is not a call to drop support today. If I
> >>can get numbers on how many people care, that will help.
> >
> >I bought several Kirkwood devices with the expectation to run Fedora on
> >them and would like to test it at least on a Seagate Dockstar, but the
> >little instructions and installer support always scared me away.
>
> Till,
>
> I've recently updated the Fedora install instructions for the
> Pogoplug with is in the same family of devices and leverages the
> same uboot update process that dockstar does.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/PogoplugUSBDisk
>
> As long as uboot is configured correctly, the process is as simple
> as dd the image to a USB drive.
>

> >It also includes instructions to update the boot loader and supports
> >installing on USB, SD card and eSATA. The Fedora instructions only
> >mention to dd an image on a SD card on the other hand.
>
> You'll note that it's not Debian directly providing that support or
> information. It's the Debian community and specifically one user.

It is at least the documentation that is directly linked at
http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/

> The same goes for Fedora, because of the man power requirements it
> is up to the community to support re-used consumer appliances like
> the Dockstar/Pogoplug. If you are successful in getting Fedora on
> your Dockstar, we would greatly appreciate a contribution of your
> experience and instructions on the wiki.

It seems that the disk image boots on the dockstar, but a first "yum
update" got oom-killed and there seems to be no swap and not LVM on the
image to easily change this. IMHO a problem with the Fedora ARM
documentation is, that it is only a collection of reports from people
how they did it. It is lacking information about why something was done
as described or how it should be done. For example the Debian
documentation clearly states which uboot version is required and how to
update it. The Kirkwood documentation in the Fedora ARM wiki only says
that the proper uboot config depends on the uboot version and gives an
example that is supposed to work on a Guru Plug Server Plus.
Comparing it with the Debian documentation it also shows that different
hex values (addresses?) are used in the uboot config for the kernel and
initramfs. But why do they need to be different? Or do they not need to
be different? Also as far as I can see there are no instructions about
how the images are created and why they have been chosen the way they
are (no LVM, no swap, device dependent names for kernel and initramfs,
vfat for /boot).