[fedora-arm] Who's using Kirkwood?

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Oct 11 09:59:07 UTC 2012

On 10/11/2012 10:51 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

>>> I did read the thread, but our definitions of "short term" appear to be
>>> different.  The thread appeared to be a question of support for F18 or
>>> F19.  IMNSHO I feel Kirkwood support should probably remain until, oh,
>>> F25 or 26, at a minimum.  There are just too many (IMHO) Kirkwoods out
>>> in production.
>>

>> More to the point, they are still being made and sold in reasonable
>> quantity.

>>> Glad to hear that.  However I'm loathe to throw away my investment of
>>> Kirkwoods.  I cannot answer you how many others bought them.  Have you
>>> tried asking them for approximate numbers?
>>

>> 512MB of usable RAM on a SheevaPlug is also a lot easier to live with than
>> 192MB of usable RAM on the Pi.
>>
>> If the VIA APC was cited as an alternative, then maybe I could almost get
>> behind that in due course (512MB of RAM, *TX form factor). But running one
>> of the default desktop environments with a browser that actually works
>> reasonably well for most commonly used websites (i.e. not Midori) in 192MB
>> of RAM? While swapping to an average SD card? Do be serious.
>
> I've never said 192Mb of RAM is reasonable so I think you'll find I'm
> completely serious, but then neither is 512Mb. With devices like the
> cubieboard, gooseberry, wandboard and numerous others coming out with
> 1Gb of RAM I personally don't see the kirkwood nor the RPi as any for
> of serious. What's more the cubieboard will be only $14 more than the
> RPi.

Two points:
1) If that's what you think, I'd really like to stop seeing the Pi as an
excuse for dropping or including anything and pandering to it.
2) 500MB-ish of RAM is actually enough for a decent user experience. I
am a daily user of a Toshiba AC100, and use it daily with KDE as my
desktop environment and Firefox as my browser. With 480MB of RAM, the
experience is comfortable. With a few tweaks the experience stretches to
pleasant:
http://www.altechnative.net/2012/01/04/alleviating-memory-pressure-on-toshiba-ac100/

>>> Oh?  Could you elaborate on that?  What "quite a lot of effort" does it
>>> take?
>>

>>  From my experience of rolling a similar distribution, if the kernel code
>> works as it's supposed to, a day or so of tweaking the configs, followed by
>> about a day of compiling (in a 1.2GHz Kirkwood).
>>
>> If there are issues? Much longer because the compile takes so long.
>
> I don't have 2 days to spare to deal with that. If someone else does
> that is absolutely fabulous. I'm yet to see them actually step up to
> the plate and do the work. Clearly you're not interested in doing any
> work what so ever, I've not actually seen a contribution from you at
> all.

I've had an issue with the attitude for pursuing the bleeding edge in
Fedora for a while - that's why I decided to roll a different distribution.

When most of your bug reports expire due to the release running EOL it
rather puts a downer on the motivation to bother contributing with the
goal posts moving so fast at the expense of stability.

Gordan