[fedora-arm] Fedora ARM VFAD - Help test Fedora 18 ARM TC1, kernels and device tree! - 2012-10-15

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:20:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Paul Whalen <pwhalen at redhat.com> wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> Please join us today (October 15th, 2012) at 12pm EDT in #fedora-arm on Freenode for another Fedora ARM VFAD!
> You can greatly assist us by selecting an area of interest and helping to document your results on the Fedora
> Project wiki.
>
> 1) We have a number of Fedora 18 TC1 images up for testing including - Pandaboard, Trimslice and vexpress (QEMU).
>    Please find testing instructions here:
>    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Quality_Assurance/2012-10-15-VFAD-Fedora_18_Test_Day
>
> 2) Please help us test the latest kernels built for Fedora to ensure they work as expected with your device.
>    Kernels can be found in Koji: http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=3547
>    Once tested please record your results here:
>    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Quality_Assurance/Kernel_Testing
>
> 3) As we have discussed in our weekly meetings, device tree will be a requirement in our near future. We would
>    like to start preparing by testing with the 3.6 kernel. Please record your results here:
>    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Quality_Assurance/Device_Tree_testing
>
> Any help is appreciated and we look forward to your participation. If your device is not listed but you would like
> to offer your assistance, please let us know on the list or the IRC.
>
> Thanks!
> Paul

Hello.

Made good progress today. :)
Was able to get Device Tree to work on both Panda ES and Trimslice.

What works: appended DTB kernels. (cat the .dtb to the end of the
zimage, then generate a new uImage)

What does NOT work: loading the .dtb from u-boot (similar to the initrd)

One notable breakthrough was being able to boot the trimslice with the
latest version of u-boot.
(had to change boot.cmd to have root=/dev/mmcblk0p3)

For the panda it would seem not all the parts of omap kernel are moved
over to DT, some things do not work.

Thanks to all those that participated!

-Jon Disnard
irc: masta