[fedora-arm] selinux issue on new images

David A. Marlin dmarlin at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 05:14:24 UTC 2012

I've been building test images for ARM systems and have hit an issue.

I created an image for Trim Slice today, and it failed to let me log
in.  The error was:

    -- root: no shell: Permission denied

I checked and the image had:

    SELINUX=enforcing
    SELINUXTYPE=targeted

This surprised me because in the kickstart I explicitly select:

    selinux --permissive

and in the anaconda program log I see:

    INFO program: Running... /usr/sbin/lokkit --selinux=permissive

but on the final image selinux is set to enforcing.  I don't know what
is changing the setting.

Oddly enough, images I created last week did not exhibit this behavior.
The final image had:

    SELINUX=permissive
    SELINUXTYPE=targeted

just as the kickstart file specified.

I assume that some package has changed in the F18 development repos
since last week to cause this, but I have no idea which package.

Does anyone have suggestions for tracking down this issue?

Note: If I force a 'relabel' on the root file system and reboot, the
login works even with SELinux set to enforcing, but that does not
explain why the settings in the kickstart are not being honored.

d.marlin