[fedora-arm] F18 ARM vexpress XFCE on QEMU

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 05:09:48 UTC 2012

On 22 Oct 2012 05:15, "Eric Smith" <eric at brouhaha.com> wrote:

> So I tried the F18 vexpress XFCE image and kernel on QEMU, using the most
recent nightly from scotland.proximity.on.ca.

> It has a (probably) different problem from the F17 release images I've
tried previously.  I can successfully get it booted to an XFCE session.
 When I try to do a yum upgrade, it has serious network performance
problems.  It actually had connection timeouts talking to archive.kernel.organd
mirrors.rit.edu, among others.  I have no trouble talking to those servers
from the host, and get high bandwidth and low latency, so I don't know any
reason why the performance in QEMU should be so abysmal.

> I presume that this stuff works much better on real hardware?

Yes, qemu emulates the entire arm hardware stack so its not the speediest.
It works OK but its certainly not the fastest.