[fedora-arm] F18 for the Pogoplug e02

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 19:21:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> On 04/17/2013 01:52 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:

>>> AFAIK it will not be supported anymore starting with Fedora 19,
>>> therefore you might consider setting up a different distribution.
>>
>> That's correct, F-18 will be the last supported armv5tel release. It
>> will be supported for the entire mainline support cycle so until a
>> month after the release of Fedora 20.
>

> Facinating.
>
> Any writeups as to why Fedora is exiting what will be a major part of the
> computing landscape in coming years?

We're not exiting the ARM landscape, we're discontinuing support for
older ARM chipsets based on the ARMv5 designs. We're doing this
because there was only every very few devices that were workable with
Fedora (256Mb+ RAM and some other bits) and ARM has discontinued the
ARMv5 platforms because they've been replaced with equivalent
cost/feature/power equivalents in the ARMv7 Cortex-Ax series of
processors. They also are dependent on older HW like DDR1 RAM which is
also getting more expensive.

> What other options are there out there?

ARMv7 hardware such as a BeagleBone, PandaBoard, a number of different
Marvell devices based on the Armada chipset.

There's also the upcoming aarch64 platforms.