[fedora-arm] Raspberry PI thoughts - slightly OT?

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Thu Apr 18 02:51:26 UTC 2013

> I don't know how support for the Raspberry PI is with Fedora.  It is
> listed as an ARM chip, though a proprietary Broadcom design.  It fits
> here right?
>
> What I was thinking was have it powered via POE (either from a switch
> with POE or a Powerline adapter with POE, I have read of one of these).
> Put this in a case, and you would have 2 USB ports for drives.
>
> About right?
>
> Now to find a case that will hold not just the PI, but also the POE card
> (and the short cable connecting the two, they should have included POE
> on the board).

That would have priced it out of the education market the devices is
targeted for. The linux and maker/hacker communities around the device
are simply a very nice side effect for them.

> This MIGHT be my next attempt for a NAS after getting the pogoplug working.
>
> http://www.xtronix.net/datasheets/Raspberry_Pi_PoE_Data_Sheet.pdf
>
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Power-over-Ethernet-Powerline-Adapter-Launched-by-Asoka-313475.shtml

Nifty, nice to see someone has done it.

Although it likely would be cheaper to buy a injector/spliter pair and
source and barrel to microUSB cable.

http://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-DWL-P200-Power-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B0002MH3HO

Few points to consider.
1) Your Ethernet is on the same USB bus your drives would be connected
to. This limits your performance.

2) The PoE adapter you listed only puts out 1A. The SoC and ethernet
chip use up around 1/3 that. Meaning you have to be conscious that your
two drives don't exceed the remaining current draw. Also you don't have
12V avaliable if you want to use a 3.5" HDD. 2.5" should be fine as
their only 5V, but again, got to watch the current draw.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=164893

--
Scott Sullivan