[fedora-arm] Status of vanilla u-boot on tegra based paz00 aka Toshiba ac100

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 13:52:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to share a recent experiment I made with u-boot v2013.04
>
> As reported upstream, I needed to revert some patches, and add a trivial
> one:
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2013-April/152397.html
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2013-April/152398.html
> It would be interesting to know if others (pandaboard) also have issue
> related to theses patches for sdcard boot.

What sort of SD card do you have? I've seen that in a different
context when using a low voltage card (1.8v I think, vs the usual
3.3v) and the socket didn't support the low voltage cards (needs
different pwr) so refused to work. Not sure it's necessarily a
regression but there should be code to fall back as the standard
requires the LV cards to operate are both power options but there had
to be code to make it work on the linux driver side.

> The tegra screen support is now available,but keyboard support is still
> missing.

In device tree?

> In order to work with keyboard, I used this special tree:
> git://gitorious.org/u-boot-ac100-exp/u-boot-ac100-exp.git
>
> Also worth to notice with tegra board, is the recent addition of cbootimage
> in our package collection.
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/954117
> tegrarcm will be made available elsewhere in the nonfree section (rfbz#2768)
>
> Then I tried to consider using the f18 trimslice image to avoid creating a
> new image( with the paz00 dtb added to the uImage). But upstream u-boot does
> only support GPT partition, so I would like to know if it can be considered
> to force usage of GPT on trimslice images for f19 ?

Upstream uboot supports non GPT too (we use it for panda/beagle/bbone
etc) but can you provide context?

> The next step for me is to build a special kernel that would allow the
> framebuffer device to work.

The 3.8.3+ mainline kernels have the tegradrm built, apparently
according to upstream it's not working with modesetting. I've started
poking to rebuild the branches of libdrm/mesa/driver which have the
initial support in them but I've not had the time to progress that
very far as yet.

> Did others already worked on a kernel config suitable for f18 for the paz00

The 3.8.x kernels have all the bits enabled for the paz00 and we ship
a tegra20-paz00.dtb device tree, it's not been tested AFAIK.