[fedora-arm] Opinions on flash or network drives for development work

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 14:47:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm now doing quite a lot of compilation on my Chromebook and my Trim
> Slice.  It's OK, provided that two processes don't try to hit the disk
> at the same time, at which point everything grinds to a halt.
>
> I'm using cheap SanDisk cards in both (not exactly sure of the model,
> but they're the cheapest branded ones).
>
> Question is, would I be better to:
>
>  - Use cards such as the "SanDisk Extreme Pro"
>    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LFT3QG
>    (Does it make a difference, or is it designed to separate me from
>     my hard-earned money?)

I tend to go for the Samsung ones as I've found they're actually eMMC
in a SD shell (via a 3rd party) and they tend to last better over all

>  - Try again with using network drive, eg. iSCSI?  NFS?  NBD?  gluster ..?
>    (Note: the Chromebook kernel doesn't support NFS)

I use NFSv4 over the pcie GiG eth on the Trimslice over to my NAS
which is 5x 2Tb so it's much faster and more stable and not prone to
random SD corruption.

>  - Is there a good performing network device which is less horrible to
>    configure than iSCSI?

iSCSI is quite straight forward a few commands on the client and
server side overall. What about a SSD or HDD connected to the
chromebooks USB-3 port?